- 16-Mar-2017 to 30-Apr-2017 (PST)
- Salinas, CA, USA
- Part Time
Ecology Action is seeking eight bilingual (Spanish) team members to join our residential water conservation efforts. These 27-30 hour per week positions are subject to continued program funding and are currently scheduled to run from June to October, 2017.
Residential Outreach Specialists will be responsible for supporting implementation of a California Department of Water Resources (DWR) Water-Energy Grant program. We will train team members to install water-saving equipment in single- and multi-family homes in under-resourced communities. Major job duties will include knocking on doors in designated neighborhoods to find residents interested in receiving the free water/energy upgrades, and installing low-flow faucet aerators for kitchen and bathroom sinks and low-flow shower heads. Occasional duties may include promoting the program at special events and/or community centers, and talking with residents to schedule installation appointments.
- In teams of two, find residents willing to participate in the program by knocking on doors and talking to residents about the program.
- Once invited into a home, install low-flow sink aerators in kitchens and bathrooms, and install shower heads.
- Collect data during the home visit on a mobile device.
- Assess eligibility for single-family customers to receive a free hot water heater and to participate in a drawing for a free clothes washer and or dishwasher. Provide referrals to Installation Manager.
- Inform residents about ways to save water and energy in their homes, and refer them to other rebates and direct installation programs for which they are eligible.
- Answer customer information hotline and schedule missed appointments with single-family residents as requested.
- Follow safety protocols and high standards of professionalism.
- Promote the program to residents by dropping off flyers at homes and tabling at events and community locations.
Required Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Bilingual Spanish language skills
- Availability to work early evenings and all day Saturday, as the project must connect with residents when they are home
- Handy with plumbing tools and/or desire to learn (we will offer training as part of our team onboarding program)
- Ability to learn and use apps on a smart phone
- Comfort with Microsoft Office programs, email, and scheduling tools
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Valid California Class C Driver's license, a reliable personal vehicle available to haul equipment and meet potential participants at their home and/or contractors at their place of business (mileage reimbursement provided), and current automobile insurance
- Familiarity with neighborhood and community service groups and leaders in the service area
- Basic understanding of, or interest in learning about water efficiency and/or energy efficiency measures and technologies for homes
- Experience working in sales, environmental public education and/or community organizing
- Comfort with database programs such as Salesforce
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will walk outdoors through neighborhoods for a significant portion of the work day, five days a week. The employee will regularly be required to sit, stand, walk up to 1/2 mile per day, walk up and down stairs, talk and hear, and use a tablet computer. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Work Environment: Generally, the work environment is in under-resourced residential neighborhoods and homes.
Compensation: Ecology Action offers a competitive hourly rate, starting at $16.50 per hour depending on experience. This position is not eligible for benefits, except as required by law (including paid time off that is accrued based on hours worked). Driving an insured personal vehicle on company business is required, and mileage reimbursement is provided at the Federal rate.
More About Us
Ecology Action is an award-winning non-profit consultancy that provides innovative solutions to the energy, water, and transportation challenges of cities, governments, and utilities across California. We have four decades of experience helping people make simple yet profound changes that have big environmental impact. We believe that when individuals and businesses make simple changes in their behavior they drive large scale changes that benefit people and the planet. This translates into reduced carbon emissions, stronger businesses, healthier communities and a sustainable future for all. Together, we help people, businesses and communities act now.
Ecology Action believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success and should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. This position description outlines primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but is not intended to be a comprehensive description of job responsibilities. We expect each employee to offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
Ecology Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in its workforce. Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as an employee for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
Ecology Action does not offer a company paid relocation program.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!